Friday, April 11, 2008

Vancouver



I know this is late but I have a feeling the city hasn't changed that much in a week.

I miss the West. I lived in Albuquerque for awhile and any chance I get I head West. When we were moving to Atlanta from Albuquerque we spent about 2 weeks out West (Yes West of NM) before speeding across the country to make it to ATL to start the job. We hit The Grand Canyon, Joshua Tree, LA, Big Sur and Portland. It was wonderful. A Boy. A Girl. A Jeep and Two backpacks.

So I love the West. Oh and I almost bolted from college to Seattle with less than a semester left. I love the West.

Now I had never been to Vancouver. We had tried to get there a few times but life got in the way. Damn you life. This time the fates allowed this passing North or something of that nature and we got there.

Sure the weather wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. I think the Pacific NW lie to the rest of the world just to keep us away. It did snow the day we left. The sun was in and out of clouds pretty much the entire trip. Not much rain but one hell of a hail storm that lasted about 11 minutes. The weather doesn't bother me one bit.

It isn't a huge city and quite easy to get around. A lot of good family/kid friendly things to do and some wonderful food. I love the art there.

We hit Granville Island and the Kid Market there, Stanley Park and the Aquarium there too. It was a great Aquaruim. I know it's a tourist trap but the kids loved it...the Capilano Suspension Bridge. .
I think the biggest hit with the young ones was the Museum of Anthropology. My little guy loved the totem poles and making up stories behind them. He played tour guide and loved it. Plus there were two sculptures that you could touch. Touch something in a museum. Pure heaven.

Food etc
A few of my favorites were:

Caffe Artigiano - Great coffee. Wonderful coffee with pretty designs in the foam. Almost too good to drink. Luckily the coffee matches the looks.
Brioche in Gastown - More coffee but this time with Brunch. Small place but great food and not a surprise but great coffee. Also some great art galleries in Gastown. Head here for Brunch then get pick up a great Bentwood Box.

Vij - Beyond wonderful Indian Food. Worth the up to two hour wait you'll be waiting. They do pass around free apps while you wait. Have a Dark Army for me. This is a must go to. Must. Go.

Cactus Cafe - We were told that this was Canada's Hooters but with good food. And yes it is. It's not as in your face as Hooters but you get the idea.

Lolita's - Good Mexican. Another small place. We had little ones so we got there very early but I am sure the wait gets long quickly. Great staff and wonderful drinks. Their spicy Margarita was interesting. Great guacamole with a surprise layer of Beans on the bottom. It's not "blow your mind" good but if you need a Mexican fix in the 'Couver.

Oh and I haven't even mentioned the airport. Seriously one sweet entrance to Vancouver. Water Water everwhere. A pond. A waterfall. Beautiful totems.
Add you comments about this city please...or email a city review of your own.
More later
Bro

No comments: