Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Morning Jacket-Evil Urges



The inevitable has happened and the much anticipated new MMJ release Evil Urges has leaked online. On the first few listens, this record is not nearly as much of a departure from the signature MMJ sound as was rumored. Tracks such as "I'm Amazed", "Two Halves", and "Aluminum Park" all register with the classic MMJ feel.



"Highly Suspicious" is the most obvious experiment here with it's Prince-like vocals and groove. "Touch me I'm Going To Scream Part 2" also shows new direction for the band, with it's disco backbeat it sounds like a song Roxy Music would have made in 1978.



A 70's FM radio vibe is all over this record, in a good way, especially on "Thank You Too", "Librarian" and "Look At You".





All the hallmarks of a classic MMJ album are here, the reverb vocals, the epic strings, the moody slow numbers, the crunchy guitars, it all adds up to some very, very good songs.





MMJ in an interview recently cited Wilco, Radiohead, and Pearl Jam as bands they look up to, with Evil Urges, they cement all reasons to join that company. Hype aside, this album will be tough to beat as my favorite of the year. This very well may be MMJ's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or Kid A.



More Later,
HelperMonkey

4 comments:

Megs said...

Thank you for sharing those clips. I think this album is going to sound awesome. My father likes MMJ, so maybe it will make for a great little father's day gift. (when is the album coming out???)

cbro said...

June 10th

I have to listen a few more times. Thanks for the update HM. Top five here we come brother man. I have been waiting for this one.

Hey I've got to jump in the shower as I have a "photo shoot" for an article that will be in the NYTs. How cool is that? NEXT in the NYTs?!? WTF?

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your interview, sounds really cool.

Megs to answer your question, Evil Urges officially comes out 6/10.

cbro said...

Thanks man. It went well. They took maybe 200 photos. I am sure they will find one that is decent. I hope. Nice interview...hell I could talk new music all day. The only thing missing was a beer. I did have my coffee with me though.