Monday, September 25, 2006

New Kid on the Block

I think an introduction is needed. Why not? I'm Megan. I am a journalism student at the University of Maryland. I am supposedly an expert music geek, but I'll let you all be the judge of that.

I host a radio show Wednesday Mornings (see kids, wednesdays = good radio shows...) from 10 am to 12 pm. It's called the Alternative Breakfast Party from Hell. I play pretty much whatever I want. The original idea of the show was to play dance music that rocks and rock'n roll you can dance to. you can catch my show at www.wmucradio.com if you miss the show, don't worry there's an archive! granted, the archive changes each week.

Now getting down to business:

http://resonator-mag.livejournal.com/44698.html resonator magazine (they're good people) just posted yesterday the brand new depeche mode single. I agree with them on the lyrics being too stereotypical. the issue with the song is that it's so damn catchy like bad french new wave. I just feel pissed off that DM has to cash in on their fans once again. Like touring the states twice and releasing remasters of their albums just wasn't enough!

Now for a band I'm not sure if anyone has heard of, but should have:
www.myspace.com/jawbreaker (just recently Blake Schwartzenbach did this amazing interview that is featured in the latest issue of cometbus. A friend of mine transcribed it, so I'll post soon enough!) All I have to say about the music is that Jawbreaker is the kind of band you listen to when you drink beer, and reak of cigarettes and heartache. It's good punk rock that has great meaning and it's a damn shame these guys never got the recognition they should have recieved.

A new band you should pay attention to, granted they are just a side project... Heavens is Matt Skiba (of the Alkaline Trio) and Josiah Steinbrick (formerly of F Minus). It's hard to describe their sound, so I'll try by listing their influences... It's like Brian Eno having a car crash with Black Flag and Husker Du. Okay, maybe that's not close, but it's dreamy weird stuff with some pretty damn good lyrics. www.myspace.com/heavensband

This week I am going to see Massive Attack, so in closing, here's a killer live version of "Karmacoma" from 1995... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M87Psoxkhkw

ps- the photo of clinton and gore is from a postcard my aunt sent me a while ago. whoever said democrats weren't hot was obviously rick santorum. speaking of hot democrats, Senator Barack Obama is going to be at my school Wednesday Morning!!!

3 comments:

cbro said...

that is one sweet intro...welcome aboard. I need to find out Clinton's exerise routine.

Gonçalo Veiga said...

that is an hillarious photo!

Megs said...

Thank you Chris! I'm glad you liked it!

also, i'm glad people like the postcard that my auntie anne sent me a few years ago :)