Thursday, October 04, 2007

My Kid Could Paint That

So last night I went to a preview of Amir Bar-Lev's My Kid Could Paint That a great documentary that is a must see for parents. It offers a very interesting and ambiguous story. You get facts and opinions but the best thing about it is the fact that you, the viewer, get to decide who's telling the truth - and if it really matters. After the viewing there was a brief Q and A with a child psychologist and everyone came away with something different. I love how people projected their lives and the lives of their children into this movie. I mean we all love our kids and think that all they do is magically. That makes for a great movie. It actually reminded me of the way people were talking about Memento – well at least a little bit.

The General story is about the rise and fall (and rise?) of a very cute 4 year old girl who may or may not be a hugely talented painter. Now the focus is on this fascinating "human interest" story but the film also finds a way to ask about how legit Modern Art is. Which is a great question - I mean if this little girl is getting $20,000 for a painting (Yes at 6 years old she was getting that much) what does that say about the supposed “grown-ups” who make millions from canvases covered with three splashes of primary colors or one huge “painting” of black? Just black?!? The media doesn’t come across as very good and/or healthy either.

At the end of the movie you find two camps. The little girl’s parents are manipulators or that this little girl is an amazing talent. I think it may be a bit of both and that my kids are not allowed to be famous.

No comments: