Saturday, October 27, 2007

I'm Not There

In my years of keeping track of my year end lists I never had a covers album come even close to being the best album of the year, this one might have a chance.
The soundtrack to the Bob Dylan Biopic "I'm Not Here" has some great renditions of Dylan tunes which include Jeff Tweedy, Eddie Vedder, Jim James & Calexico and The Black Keys.

The soundtrack album will be released on October 30, 2007.

The Million Dollar Bashers are a supergroup featuring Sonic Youth stars Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley, Wilco guitarist Nels Cline, Television guitarist Tom Verlaine, Dylan bassist Tony Garnier, guitarist Smokey Hormel and keyboardist John Medeski.[5]

Disc one
"All Along the Watchtower," - Eddie Vedder and the Million Dollar Bashers
"I'm Not There," Sonic Youth
"Goin' To Acapulco," Jim James and Calexico
"Tombstone Blues," Richie Havens
"Ballad of a Thin Man," Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers
"Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again," Cat Power
"Pressing On," John Doe
"Fourth Time Around," Yo La Tengo
"Dark Eyes," Iron & Wine and Calexico
"Highway 61 Revisited," Karen O and the Million Dollar Bashers
"One More Cup of Coffee," Roger McGuinn and Calexico
"The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll," Mason Jennings
"Billy," Los Lobos
"Simple Twist of Fate," Jeff Tweedy
"The Man in the Long Black Coat," Mark Lanegan
"SeƱor (Tales of Yankee Power)," Willie Nelson and Calexico

Disc two
"As I Went Out One Morning," Mira Billotte
"Can't Leave Her Behind," Stephen Malkmus and Lee Ranaldo
"Ring Them Bells," Sufjan Stevens
"Just Like a Woman," Charlotte Gainsbourg and Calexico
"Mama You've Been on My Mind" / "A Fraction of Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie," Jack Johnson
"I Wanna Be Your Lover," Yo La Tengo
"You Ain't Goin' Nowhere," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
"Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?," The Hold Steady
"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues," Ramblin' Jack Elliot
"Wicked Messenger," The Black Keys
"Cold Irons Bound," Tom Verlaine and the Million Dollar Bashers
"The Times They Are a-Changin'," Mason Jennings
"Maggie's Farm," Stephen Malkmus and the Million Dollar Bashers
"When the Ship Comes In," Marcus Carl Franklin
"Moonshiner," Bob Forrest
"I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine," John Doe
"Knockin' on Heaven's Door," Antony & the Johnsons
"I'm Not There," Bob Dylan

Apparently there is a concert in NYC for this as well:

http://www.imnotthere.info/


Trailer:



http://www.myspace.com/imnottheresoundtrack

-HelperMonkey

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be in line on Tuesday.

Megs said...

Damn that soundtrack sounds awesome. I might have to pick up a copy on payday or something!

Rodrigo Perez said...

If you're interested, we have about 8 tracks from the soundtrack spread about over our blog. this post has 5 tracks with links to more, plus links to our review of the album and lots more other nerdy obsessiveness. cheers

cbro said...

Brilliant Playlist and thanks to helper monkey too. Nice post brother man.

I am back from a mini-get-away. I went to the OSU Penn State game...well it wasn't much of a game but it's always fun to go to a game. The website will get updated soon.

Megs said...

Correction about me picking up the album, I just got it tonight to preview! Hurray for being a college radio dj, which reminds me, everyone please listen to my show :)

cbro said...

yes but now you must burn it for me and mail it to the Peak...please and thank you.

You are the best.