Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Grace is Gone


So last night we got to see the latest John Cusack movie "Grace is Gone". Mister Cusack himself was there and spoke briefly before the film and was going to be at a restaurant after the film. So, of course, in the back of my head I was thinking "maybe just maybe I could shake his hand and say hi and not make an ass out myself in front of an actor I admire." See I grew up with John Cusack and his movie roles walked in step with my movie needs. "The Sure Thing" and "Better off Dead" were the perfect intro's for me and paved the way for Lloyd Dobler. Ever since then he has "grown" in the roles he has chosen -- just as I have wanted more in the films I was watching. It was and has continued to be a good match.


Grace is Gone is sly film. It sneaks up on you. It has quiet power. It has a beautiful small feel and by small I mean it's not a "popcorn" or "Great Date Film". An Indie Film. It is a slow moving film but never boring. The movie hangs its hopes on John Cusack and he takes what could have been a "one note" performance and adds a few wonderful touches.

I think maybe deep down this movie does take a side but it does a great job of showing that the nightly news is just more than background noise for so many families. It shows the human side of a war. The loss. Now John Cusack doesn't play a charter he normally does but at moments you can "hear" Lloyd Dobler. This is a story of a man that has lost and lost a lot. His wife, his government but not his hope or a future thanks to his two daugthers. I read that John Cusack was looking for a vehicle to show what is happening ever since the Bush White House decided to hide the caskets coming home. Those families deserve more and I guess this movie is his gift to them.

So if you are expecting typical Cusack keep looking but if you want a smart and well acted fim that is quite sad go see this. I would say B+ to A- and Cusack could get a nod for the lttle golden naked dude holding the sword.

Oh and I did meet him and shook his hand and chatted a minute or so. Of course, just we were saying goodbye I had to slip in one more quick question about music...I asked him if there was someone he was really into at the moment and he said Regina Spektor. I would have loved to have had the chance to sit and drink a beer with him...maybe another day. I also can't forget to tell you that we sat next to Bob Balaban who was wonderful. He was with his wife. They were both great and entertaining. We talked about a wide range of topics from Serving on a Jury to Good Morning America to HBO. Bob is one of those guys that when you see him you say "he's that guy that is in everything" but you can't think of anything until you google or imdb him. Very nice dinner with him. Great movie. Great night.

4 comments:

Arakias said...

Wondering if this at the Jacob Burns center or in NYC, but either way it sounds like a cool experience!

cbro said...

It was in NYC and it was quite cool...John Cusack has always been on my list of people I'd love to have a beer with. Now I didn't get to have the beers but the quick conversation was still very nice.

Thanks for the comment

Megs said...

Holy shit, Chris! You got to meet John Cusak! Wasn't that one of your life goals? Just kidding :)

That is awesome you got to chat with him for a moment. Maybe someday you'll get to have that beer with him and ask him what are his top 5 albums lol.

As for the movie, I might wait until it's released on DVD. I'm not into seeing movies in the theatre that I know damn well will just tear me up inside. Then again, I just got free passes to go see Control and I know that movie is going to hit hard.

cbro said...

hey Megs

You are correct so I can die a happy man but first yes I would like to have those beers and talk top 5's.