Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Bounce back week?

If all that was released was the new cd by "The Alive Elvis" then the week would be worthy of goodness. But there is more than Costello this week to check out. On to the CDs.

Also thank you anyone that read and emailed kind words about the NEXT New York Times Article. Thank you. In fact, if you subscribe to the NEXT newsletter I'll be giving you a thank this week...yay free.

Elvis Costello - Momofuku

Named after the creator of Ramon Noodles...This was a quick recording for Elvis but it doesn't hurt the end product. In fact, it may have helped it. This cd finds Costello closer to his earlier works...at least sonicly.

Barenaked Ladies - Snack Time
A kid's cd and it brings out the good and bad...all the things you love and hate about this group. I really can't believe that this is their first full length Children's CD. They seem the perfect match. Plus you gotta love the fact that little kids will soon be asking their parents for Barenaked Ladies.

The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of Understatement
Side Projects are usually side projects for a reason. This one is an exception. the collaboration between the Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner and the Rascals' Miles Kane is simply likeable. It has a great 60s James Bond kinda feel too.

Firewater - The Golden Hour

Angry, Angular, Gypsy Rock or actually closer to "World Punk".

Also out
The Long Blondes - Couples, Midnight Oil's deluxe version of "Diesel and Dust" with CD extras and DVD and Jeb Loy Nichols "Days are Mighty"

More later
Bro


----------------
Now playing: Someone Still Loves You Boris - Think I Wanna Die
via FoxyTunes

6 comments:

Megs said...

I didn't realize that Elvis was releasing a new album this week. I'll have to go check it out!

Last year for mother's day, I took my mom to see him at Ramshead Live in Baltimore. He was doing a small club tour that featured nothing but his old stuff. It was a pretty fantastic show as you can imagine.

cbro said...

You might be the coolest daughter ever. Ramshead is decent place to see a show but they get some great names.

Megs said...

Are you thinking Ramshead in Annapolis? They now call that Ramshead Tavern or something like that. They started this much larger venue (where I've seen Costello, Morrissey, Danzig and The Cult) in Baltimore. Huge difference between the two. It opened back in 2005.

And by the way, Thank you. I think my mother would agree haha.

cbro said...

see you move away for a few years and things change...thanks for the update. I didn't know that. Makes much more sense now.

Anonymous said...

rather than resend my list email, i had posted it, so i'll link it (yes, i'm trying to increase my hits)
by the way, did someone win the closet of cds? i saw its no longer a contest...
http://autumntactics.wordpress.com/2008/04/27/the-peak-tops-the-list/

cbro said...

brilliant move and well played. Not sure how many hits AGM will provide but some is better than none.

I someone did win already. I had nothing to do with any of it. Sorry you didn't get the buttload of Peak CDs.

Maybe I'll send you a few extras I might have laying around.