Thursday, January 12, 2006

I Finally Posted My Top Ten

Since it is well into '06 I thought I should finally post my favorite records of the year. I bet Cbro didn't post his yet either because he wants to see what was on my list first...so be it.

Once again I should state that this list is pure self indulgence and based only on what I have heard last year.

10) Doves-Some Cities
This is probably my least favorite of the Doves releases, but it still has those moody atmospherics and trippy guitar that Coldplay would kill for.

9) LCD Soundsystem-LCD Soundsystem
This is about as dancy as I get these days and it is an exciting eclectic double album. "Tribulations" should be played at clubs.

8) M83-Before The Dawn Heals Us
An ambient soundscape of an album, "Before The Dawn Heals Us" is perfect late night listening.

7) Beck-Guero
After Beck's Masterfull yet emotinally heavy "Sea Change" album, he was bound to be in a better mood and he's back sounding like "Odelay" dating "Mutations" while seeing "Midnite Vultures" on the side.

6) My Morning Jacket-Z
The Jacket returns with their most high profile relese yet. More cohesive than 2003's "It Stll Moves", it also lacks some of it's charm. Jim James vocals, however, are still drenched in reverb.

5) Wilco-Kicking Television-Live In Chicago
This double-disc captures Wilco at The Vic Theatre over a 4 night stand in early May. Having been at one of these shows, I would have preferred one whole show instead of a sampling of the four, but this live testament does deliver the goods.

4) Black Rebel Motorcycle Club-Howl
A completely stripped down organic album was not what anyone was expecting from BRMC and thats part of what makes it so good. Blues, Folk, Gospel & Rock are all represented on this album that greatly increases the bands dynamics.

3) White Stripes-Get Behind Me Satan
Reportedly recorded in only two weeks, this album also has a stripped down experimental feel to it. Jack White may be one of the best all around musicians playing music and Meg really can play drums...kinda.

2) Kings Of Leon-Aha Shake Heartbreak
A darker outing than their rollicking summer debut album of 2003, Aha Shake shows a progession and maturing in the bands sound promising good things ahead.

1) Spoon-Gimme Fiction
This is the catchiest album I have heard all year. Probably the most accessible Spoon release. If you judge top albums by how may times you listen to them, "Gimme Fiction" was spun more than all all the rest.




Best Concerts Of The Year:

5) Kings Of Leon- Metro 3/4/05
A great show with lots of energy. Sadly almost 5 months later at a gig at the Congresss they attracted a drunken frat crowd not out of place at a Dave Matthews show...word was out. I must be getting old.

4) Queens of The Stone Age-Vic Theatre 4/5/05
The Queens always bring the rock.

3) Pearl Jam/Robert Plant-House Of Blues 10/5/05
Due to the crowd present who paid $1000 to get in, the band made a standard greatest hits setlist show special with Plant jumping onstage doing covers and Zep tunes with PJ.

2) Wilco-Vic Theatre 5/6/05
Wilco at their prime?

1) Secret Machines- Metro 2/4/05
A sonic masterpiece of a show. This band must be seen live.



More Later,
HelperMonkey

1 comment:

cbro said...

I have been way too busy/ lazy to get my list up. Good list brother man. If not tomorrow then the weekend for sure.