Sunday, July 27, 2008

She and Him at T5

So at the last moment I got a few passes to see M Ward and Zooey Deschanel's "side project" called She and Him.

First off as an actress she has a wonderful voice. Mostly when an actor says "I have just recorded a new album" most of us cringe. If only because history has taught us so. The reverse is mostly true too when a singer wants to become a movie star. That might be a post for another day.

I have listened to She and Him's Volume One quite a few times and it does live in top 25 cds of 2008 but live they were Excellent. You could feel that they liked playing music with each other. One of my modern favorites is M Ward and I loved the fact that he mostly just sat back and enjoyed Zooey. It was the "She" part that got the limelight.

Pretty good video of "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here"


The night had that really cool vibe. Imagine if your best friend had a barn out in the country and this was the local band that he got to play his "barn party". They would have blown you away. It had that kinda feel to it.

Of course moonshine and/or a porch and few close friends would be an almost perfect setting for this night of She and Him music.

A small portion of Black Hole


So thank you Merge for the tickets.

On top of the main act there were two opening acts. I had not heard of the Rosebuds but after last night - I am a fan. This track wasn't from last night but it will give you an idea.

I Better Run


Freakwater was just fine. Sorry but they were. Nothing special. Maybe it was a bad night.

Another fine musical night at Terminal 5.
Bro

4 comments:

Megs said...

I really like she and him. they're pretty good stuff. Glad to hear that they're good live. I was hoping to see them at this year's virgin music festival, but I can't go. I was hoping to go for both days, but the economy sucks so hard that well, no concerts for me this summer. Thanks for sharing about the gig though!

cbro said...

Yes the economy does suck but at least you get NEXT for free.

Anonymous said...

You should try to see them live. They are better in person. The disc is good but live is better.

cbro said...

Yeah what he and/or she said. Try to save up your hard earned pennies to see them when they get into town.