Thursday, July 03, 2008

Two months of Best of the Month

Well Well well. Holy Balls I just noticed how very far behind I am. So sorry but I shall try to right the boat.

So the best of May...yes May.

A great month of CDs. One could argue and win said argument with either DCFC or the Alive Elvis. Death Cab for Cutie's "Narrow Stairs" is a classic and wonderful but too easy for NEXT. We throw "Momofuku" in that same "too easy for NEXT" category. Both should be in your collection. Oh and a hardy welcome back to 70s hard rockin' Elvis Costello. It sounds good in the summer time.

So that still leaves me with two cds from which to pick. Firewater or The Botticellis? Two different feels. Two different subject matters. Well I am going with the Sun kissed, 60s vibe, laid back surf music of San Fransisco's The Botticellis. Nothing against "The Golden Hour" and Firewater's well fire and general feeling of "What the hell are we doing here in the US". I love the Gypsy/World Punk thing but I am going for the time tested tunes here. The Botticellis get the best of May nod.

On to June. Not far behind on this one at all.
How Bloody good was this month? Amazingly good. So good, in fact, that I didn't even think twice about My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges"or Alejandro Escovedo's "Real Animal" as a best of the month. I quickly looked over the month and found four cds that I thought about and listened to again. All of them need a place in your beating muscle located within your chest, iPod and in your collection of cds and/or albums.

I heart the new Jakob Dylan or Baby Dylan and his "Seeing Things". I also hope he sticks with The Wallflowers. Maybe he does like Petty and The Heartbreakers. A little bit of both. Don't be afraid of this solo cd.

Wolf Parade's "At Mount Zoomer" is the ultimate "grower". It doesn't grab you it grows on you with each listen. You will love in love with the cd and it wouldn't leave your cd changer for a long, long time.

It pains me that Sam Phillip's fine and glorious new cd called "Don't Do Anything" wouldn't be named Best of the month but there has to be a winner.

That winner this month is the Fleet Foxes.

More later
Bro


----------------
Now playing: They Might Be Giants - I'm Impressed
via FoxyTunes

No comments: