Friday, July 25, 2008

CD of 7/15

Back from a great vacation that included Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and The Connecticut Shore (which I had a wonderful massage). If you have never been you should go. Martha's Vineyard is a wonderful place to bike to an ice cream shop and relax.

On a sadder/weirder note I also had to appear in court for lawn clippings that were nicely bagged on my curb. A day early?!? Seriously. I had to bite my tongue quite hard (and I'm a very mellow fellow) when after I plead guilty - the judge asked if I had anything to say.

Welcome to the 'burbs of NYC.

On to (finally) the gold stars from many weeks ago.

The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Punk meets classic rock. Yes it is that good. They are the ultra Geek Rockers. They have elements of The Replacements with Springsteen of the 70s. Seriously ever Springsteen fan should be jumping all over this band. And the Replacements are one of my all time favs so I don't throw them in the mix too often. I must mean it. Still a "grower" cd and head into their back catelogue. Brilliance.

John Mellencamp - Life, Death, Love and Freedom
Best in a decade or so from him but a bummer of a cd. A great and regretful look back at mis-spent youth. Pure, Mature Wisdom. "The Kids" might not get it but those "long in the tooth" will truly enjoy (ok maybe not enjoy but dig into) this One Bleak World of a cd.

Also check out and maybe download a tune or two
the Music and Wild Beasts.

No comments: