Monday, March 17, 2008

yet another reason

Hey and hello and what up.

Happy Green Day. I know I've already started drinking hopefully you have too.

So the real reason I am posting this today is because I was looking around iTunes the other day and was surprised to see "Hallelujah" as sung by Jeff Buckley as being the number one download.

I was shocked and happy. I couldn't imagine why this would happen. I know Brad Pitt wants to play him in a movie but that is old news...then a friend mentioned that it was sung on Idol.

You would think that anything that gets people to listen to Jeff Buckley would make me happy. It does but my main problem is I watched the video. I had too. I have watched maybe 15 minutes of Idol before I searched YouTube for a clip of this. I...just...had to hear it. I really didn't want to as I have too much love for the Buckley version.

Now "whatever his name", Castro I think, sang it and it wasn't bad...I wouldn't ever think of putting it in the great category but it wasn't bad. My problem is with the judges. Both guys (Man Paula is bad...I mean bad and I doubt she has ever heard Jeff Buckley) claimed that they loved the Jeff Buckley version of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and yet they gushed all over this guy. That is the problem. They are supposed to know better.

Now if you've never heard the Buckley version you might be forgiven if you think that this "wanna be Idol" did a great job. Seriously...stop the bad man.

I do hope that all the Idol watchers that downloaded Buckley start to spiderweb from the there and discover some truly awesome talent. I doubt it. They will just wait for the next so so cover of another song and download that one and stop looking deeper. Oh Well. At least we have NEXT.

Also I just read this in the NYTs today too. Vote for the Worst.

ONE MORE THING...I had to turn down the chance to interview Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden on his private jet...I want to die with my boots on. I am bummed.gotta listen to the end. Brilliant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that on iTunes as well and knew something had to be up and then I heard it was on American Idol and, like you, lamented and enjoyed the attention given to Buckley's version. Sadly, Buckley's music is something that would not fly on idol. Contrived derivative tripe is the usual fare on that show and the masses eat it up with a spoon.

cbro said...

I went to the Buckley iTunes page and noticed that people had also bought Elliot Smith. I can't imagine many Idol watchers "digging" that man's music. Pure shame but hopefully a few of them clicked on it and it opened a door. Sometimes that is all it takes.