Tuesday, March 18, 2008

When a Man Loves His Laptop (plus new music)

Last night, I went out to Dante's and did in fact listen to the Pogues! (In addition to the new Flogging Molly album.) Also, I had my first Guinness last night while at the bar. I figured Chris would be proud of that one. I sipped it very slowly and I am still deciding whether I liked it or not. At least I got it for free (go ahead be jealous). I am a lightweight when it comes to drinking so after just one Guinness, I was good to go.

I got home around midnight and my parents were up watching Charlie Rose on PBS. I sat down on the sofa and had to do a double take. It looked like Mr. Rose got into a fight or got mugged. My parents both laughed that they were trying to figure out what happened to him. I jokingly suggested that maybe he had to fight this past weekend in a fight club. (I love journalists who can kick serious ass!) My dad wanted me to do a search on the internet about why Charlie looked so beat up, but I was tired and just went to bed. Besides, I couldn't concentrate on the tv show at all. I kept laughing at how random this all was.
Today, I have found the answer! Turns out, he got a black eye over his new Macbook Air. He tripped on a pot hole in NYC. It was either his face or his new laptop. As you can tell, he went for the laptop instead. I don't blame him either. Those new macbooks cost at least $1,800!
Chris mentioned in his posting about new music. I have to say that I'm looking forward to the next two weeks.
Next week, The B-52s first album in 16 years is going to be released. Funplex is a pretty sweet album. I got an advance copy to review for WMUC. At first, I was scared that it wasn't going to be good. I've been a huge fan of their music since I was in kindergarten (yeah I was only 5 back in 1990) and well, like a lot of my favorites from back in the day, sometimes new albums can yield mixed results. My fears, however, went down a little when the single (same title as the album) started hitting the airwaves. I am happy to say that this new album is very much like them. It rocks and you can dance to it. There's punk and disco. It's classic B-52s with a nicely done modern update. I'll go ahead and make the claim that it's the album to have for this summer and for any good house party. My favorite tracks aside from the title song is probably "Juliet of the Spirits" and "Keep This Party Going." Now I just need to get my hands on the remix ep of the single, which features remixes by CSS, Peaches and Scissor Sisters. Nice to see the hipsters give props, right?
Hard to believe that April Fool's Day is in two weeks. But here is one thing not to be fooled about: The brand new REM album Accelerate is going to be released that day. On my way home from school this past Thursday night, I listened to a special radio program that gave a preview of the album. All I have to say is that it's nice to hear some REM that aren't mopey pop songs! If anything, it's probably their most kicking album in atleast a decade. The band worked with producer Jacknife Lee (he's worked with Aqualung, Editors, The Hives, Snow Patrol and U2) at the suggestion of one of their good friends. Apparently, The Edge wrote them a letter stating how disappointed he was with their last album and suggested Lee as a producer. Now if only U2 could put out a hard driving album, but that's another topic at another time. Anyway, the two songs I really really liked that were played (the program was live from SXSW) were "Man-Sized Wreath" and "Horse to Water." If you can't wait for more REM, you can kill some time by creating your own music video for their single "Super Natural, Super Serious" and I do believe you can post what you create and the band just might check it out.
One more thing before I go, check out the band Murder By Death. Their new album has been recieving some pretty great reviews and I'll admit, they have a pretty unique sound for a rock band. I would easily say that they're for people who are fans of Tom Waits, Nick Cave and Danzig. Enjoy!
Cheers,
Megan

4 comments:

cbro said...

My o My does EDGE rock. How cool is it that told REM just what I would have. I need to have beers with that man. Too cool. Glad REM listened because it has always been a shame that they still rock live but their last couple of LPs have been barely OK.

LOVE that Charlie Rose. The body heals but the AirBook...not so much. Also heard about a journalist whose wife did a clean sweep of magazines and the airBook was mixed in with them. She didn't even notice (because I am sure some Mags weigh more than the 'puter). Any way the AirBook ended up in the trash chute. Sucks to be him.

Megs said...

If you ever get to have beer with the Edge, please make sure to invite me along! But yeah I totally agree with you about how it's been a shame how awesome live REM are and yet the last few albums have been snoozers. I just wonder what REM thought of U2's last album... (Is it so wrong that I found Atomic Bomb to be a boring u2 album? If it were by any other band, I'd say awesome album, but because it was u2 I expected a lot more. Now I'm not saying it's crap, but some of the songs on there felt like filler.)

I would die if that were to happen to me. I wouldn't be so careless about such an expensive laptop, not to mention, why on earth would one be throwing away magazines? Granted, I am assuming they're all music mags. I never throw away any of my punk planets, NMEs, rolling stones or spins. But yeah I agree, it totally sucks to be him. He's easily having the worst week ever.

cbro said...

you need more pausing in the Worst...week...ever.

I will definitely invite you when The Edge and I have beers. That would be a classic night. I think HBO should pick me up as a host of a show called "Beers with Bro". I'd watch it.

Megs said...

I would totally watch that too. HBO or IFC should totally do that.