Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Grand Opening of NEXT



To anyone that listened last week. Thank you. Here is the playlist for tonight.


Week Two Playlist For NEXT.

Rock Kills Kid—Paralyzed (Are you Nervous?)
Are You Nervous? will be released on May 16, they show flashes of brilliance that indicate they will be worth keeping an eye on (or more enjoyably, an ear).
It’s like they just popped out of an I Love the 80s comp

My Morning Jacket – Wordless Chorus (Z)
One of my favs of last year. Should be in your collection. Don’t be afraid to visit their back catalogue.

Goldfrapp – Number One (Supernature)
Released in the UK last year but only recently released here in the states. This band has just been tagged to open for the RHCPs.

The Twilight Singers- Underneath the Waves (Powder Burns)
I don’t do new years resolutions but this year was the year I was going to get the Afghan Whigs back together. That was my goal. Still is but after hearing this cd but Greg Dulli’s latest band I think I have a hard road ahead of me. It’s Greg Dulli all grownz up. It’s a full album. Listen to it that way.
Also A collaborative album with Screaming Trees frontman Mark Lanegan, under the name The Gutter Twins, should make its way into stores next year. Yummy.

Arctic Monkeys – Settle for a draw (Whatever People say I am, That’s What I’m not)
Yes they live up to the hype and yes you should go relive your youth and get this cd. They just released an EP that has another 4 new tunes that is worth it too.

The Yeah yeah yeahs – Cheated Heart (Show your bones)
A bit of a sophomore slump—Maybe. Enough to write them off definitely not. Their debut cd was a kick in the face this one is dare I say mature which I think it part of the problem.

Tapes n Tapes – Insistor (The Loon)
Accurately described as the illegitimate red-headed stepchild of the Pixies' Frank Black and former Pavement frontman Stephen Malkmus

Ray Davies – Other people’s lives (Other People’s Lives)
You know him. You love him. Now go love his solo cd.

Giant Drag – cover of Chris Isaak’s Wicked Games (Hearts and unicorns/ re-issue)
the gap between P.J. Harvey, Elastica and My Bloody Valentine with songs of texture, density, and the strangest mix of cute and dark. Like a squirrel with a flamethrower.

Band of Horses- The Funeral (Everything all the time)
Band of the moment for me. Top 5 cd of the year. They sound equally good when on headphones or blasting from a car stereo. I have tried both and encourage both.

Ambulance LTD – New English (New English EP)
A stop gap until the full CD is ready. Worth getting for a great cover of Floyd’s “Fearless”

Ben Harper- Picture in a Frame (Both Sides of the Gun)
The man matters. Sure this isn’t his best but I will buy anything by this guy. And see him live.

Remember that NEXT is an iMix. Go to the iMix page and search for an iMix named "NEXT Week Two"

Are you ready for Thor? in all of his 70s glory. Mister John Thor via YouTube.

One more YouTube. Have you ever wondered how Hair Metal Bands from the 80s? made records. Well this video might answer some of those questions. Killer Dwarfs thank you. Classic.

The US men's soccer team is ready. Are you? See you in Germany. I will be in Koln for the England/ Sweden match. Anyone got tickets? If not see you in the Pub.

More later
Bro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great playlist, Bro..

Wasn't there something else after Tapes 'n Tapes though?

cbro said...

Yes Ray Davies but for some reason I didn't put that in Bold. Great CD for his first solo tunes too but I still hope the Kinks get back together.

Thanks for listening.

Bro