Saturday, July 30, 2005

This will be a link free post.

So about a week ago I called Cbro out on always giving positive reviews to everything he reviews on this site. Kudos to him for stepping up and naming a few artists whom he did not share love for. Now a couple of these were safe choices (American Idol?!), but I digress.

As for myself, I will list my dissappointments/never liked/just don't get it bands now.

1.) Coldplay.
I couldn't agree with Cbro more. This album was supposed to be the one to put them over the top?, Make them the biggest band in the world?, Their "Joshua Tree"?,...It isn't. The last two Coldplay albums were far superior and this one just bores me overall. The Doves and Snow Patrol do a better job at what Coldplay is trying to do.

2) Arcade Fire.
Everybody loves them. Aren't their stage antics cute? I even watched thier webcast from Lollapalooza...nothing. I have tried with these guys since last year. I just can't get into them. This band screams gimmick to me. The Hives of this year.

3) Greenday.
Again, what's the big fucking big deal? I like Greenday overall, but It's like people forgot about them since "Dookie", and 10 years later they come out with a politically themed "concept" album and now their genius. I liked some of the stuff since "Dookie", but this album seems bland, overproduced and just beyond their reach. Stick to 3 minute punk/pop songs.

4) Dave Matthews Band
Anyone who knows me knows that DMB is a favorite target of mine, but at least in the past their records showed a decorum of creativity. Dave's got a great live band, I'll give them that, but the new disk seems like just a stopgap to continue their endless touring schedule.

5) Billy Corgan
This album sucks...bad. You want your band back Billy? I hope for your sake you get them back...quickly.


Now that that nasty business is taken care of we can go back to the lovefest that is A Glorious Mess .

Tonight I will bare witness to a fantastic double bill, The Kings Of Leon/Secret Machines show pairs up what may be my two favorite new bands of the last couple of years. I have seen both before and expect an excellent show.

More later, HP

1 comment:

cbro said...

I second the Great Pumpkin stink bomb. No wonder he took a full page ad out to get SP back together.