Monday, August 04, 2008

CDs for 7/30

Just in time before a fresh batch of CDs tomorrow. Strange how you need a vacation from your vacation. It takes a bit to get back into the swing...after you have been gone for a bit.

So I finally saw Batman The Dark Knight. Yes I am the last person on Earth to have seen it. Brilliant. I still love the first part of Ironman a bit more but what a dark and wonderful movie Batman was. I understand why they "enhanced" Batman's voice but I still didn't like that. It really isn't that shocking that Heath nailed the Joker. Brilliant job just mind blowing.

I was shocked at the amount of little kids at the movie. Really? C'mon P's it was rated "PG-13"...I don't see how but it was. Yes I know the rating system is a joke but really that movie was much too intensive for youngsters.

The movie does give you quite a bit to talk about too.

On to the Music, man

Neil Halstead - Oh! Mighty Engine
Shoegaze hero, and all around great singer and songwriter turns in a very pleasant "Summer Afternoon" vibe of an album. He is the Slowdive guy and also part of the always excellent Mojave 3. On this solo project he relaxes. I claim "summer afternoon" vibe because in the heat of the day you don't really want to jump around. You want to spike your lemonade and sit on a rocking chair and listen to this cd.

Also out was
the release of George Carlin's "It's Bad for You". It is the same material as the HBO special but a different recording and maybe a better night for Carlin too. If you care Rick Springfield also released something new. Soccer moms rejoice.

More later
Bro

2 comments:

Megs said...

Glad that you finally got to see the movie! (I'll admit, I missed out on Ironman. It came out in the theaters at a bad time for me because of finals. Still no excuse, I'm just hoping to get it on DVD.)

Funny you mention the whole little kids thing. Remember the controversy about Batman Returns? McDonalds made all these happy meal toys for the movie until they realized just how violent the film was. Proof that Batman is not family friendly!

When I saw the Dark Knight, I sat next to a group of boys. Some of them looked like they were maybe high school age, but the rest were late elementary school (5th grade) or middle school (6th - 8th grade). Believe it or not, it was quite fun. I felt like a cool kid for 2 1/2 hours. They were all impressed that I knew so much about comics. They probably thought "Woah, girls who like comics do exist!"

Anyway, the movie does give you quite a lot to talk about. My friends and I are still chatting about it. Discussing the strange relationship between the Joker and the Batman. Not to mention, I'm hoping to go see it again this weekend. Must go see it a second time!

I totally agree with you about Batman's voice. But I thought it was appropriate sounding in Batman Begins. Maybe I need to compare the two.

You definitely gotta check out the Angry Video Game Nerd's critique about Batman Video games. Also, the same guy does a great review of all the tv and movie media of Batman for Spike TV. He traces batman all the way back to the silent film era and into the 1940s. (Who knew there were Batman movies way before the tv show!)

ps- Since we're on the topics of movies...Are you going to check out Pineapple Express?

cbro said...

Hell yes...I can't wait. Plus Huey Lewis made new music for the OST.

I agree I can't wait to see it again. I have already put it in the queue at Netflix. I hope the commentaries on the DVD are good.

"I'm gonna make this pencil... disappear."
[Gambol's thug walks over to kill The Joker, who pushes his face into the pencil and kills him]
"Ta-daa! It's... gone!"