Sunday, December 03, 2006

Homework = Distractions


I should be working on my homework, which entails an essay about the passion of the christ (it's for my pop culture journalism class), reading and a slight assignment for astronomy (not due until Tuesday), my part of a group paper for my relationships and dating class (yes that's a real class believe it or not), but I have too much floating around in my head to concentrate. I figured that I'd clear my thoughts by writing on here...

First of all, I have a really cool announcement! This month is going to be the release of the first issue of the Backbone Mountain Review, which is a literature magazine showcasing Western Maryland writers. So you're probably wondering what is the big deal... Well, my poem "October" was selected for publication. Aside from being published in Frostburg State University's lit magazine when I was a student there and on the staff, this is really my first hit into a rather important publication. I am being published along side award winning professors and writers. I found out that there was an overwhelming response to get into the magazine, so surprisingly, I actually made it into something based on writing talent. for more information, here is the link: backbone mountain review . Maybe I'll post a few poems on here. Granted, I'll leave you all to decide that one!

Now onto other things, for my pop culture of journalism class, I have to write a 1,500 word paper/essay that is evaluating the press' coverage of a trend or a figure from pop culture. It can be from the past or even something recent. I'm not sure if I have to stick to American press only. The paper would also include my opinions on not just the press and media, but my opinion of my topic. So far, I have a few ideas, but I feel like there's got to be much more stuff. Here's my ideas thus far:

1. Madonna- Easy one, I know! I was going to focus around the eras of 1990-1995. When she was extremely racey and out there. My professor suggested writing about the SEX coffee table book, but I'm not sure if A. I can find a copy of the book and B. If I have the guts to actually look through the damn thing. Don't get me wrong, I love Madonna, but I'd rather write on her music and the truth or dare movie. One a Side Note- I was thinking about doing a comparision between Madonna and Kylie's music from 1997 to now. It's like they're stealing from each other.

2. Morrissey- This might be tricky if I can only use the American Media. Then again, maybe I can do a comparission between American and the UK's coverages. We all love the smiths and his solo work is really good when he's depressed and trying not to fall in love. I saw this really great documentary on youtube about Moz. There's all these theories about him and not to mention, he's one of the most influential voices in the past 20 years in terms of alternative rock and pop music.

3. Straight Edge- I thought an essay on the subculture would be interesting. So many people think straight edge kids are violent towards those who drink, smoke, whatever. But I am one to prove people wrong. I am straight edge and to me, there's a lot towards it than just the minor threat song. I know that it has recieved some bad press in the past too.

4. Emocore- It might be hard to research but the misconcept of what emotional hardcore is, is something that bothers me to this day. I hate the whole thing of labeling everything as "emo" that's like calling everything back in 1994 "grunge." This topic would be cool because I love the history of the DC Hardcore scene and I know a lot about the music from the 1990s (ie- sunday real estate, jawbreaker, get up kids, jimmy eat world, promise ring, ect).

5. David Bowie- I think we all know the possitives of doing a paper on him, but the issue is how difficult will the research be? Nothing like him has come to America. I mean nobody ever saw such androgeny during his "Ziggy Stardust" days. I can't think of anyone who has his sound or looks. He is probably one of the ultimate definitions of cool.

6. Prince- Once again another weird figure in music. Weird, but totally awesome. I love watching Purple Rain. I grew up on his music and I remember people find the whole "artist formerly known as" to be quite funny. I just wonder what sort of things could I find in the press.

My list is kinda long, but in a way, it's not. I need to find something where it wouldn't be like writing a damn book, even though someday I'll probably write a book about all sorts of pop cultural topics. I feel like there is probably something much cooler to write about even. So, if you have any better ideas or any suggestions, please speak up! It could be about a movie, a book, music, art, ect. Also, if any of those six ideas sound good, tell me which one you think I should do. I'll most likely post the essay on here.

On an ending note, I am curious to know what album you are listening to that isn't new or current.

Right now, I am listening to Oasis' Definitely Maybe. This is the one Oasis album I have yet to hear in its entirety until today. I now see why they could have been "The Next Beatles." Noel Gallagher is not only a great guitar player, but man can he write good pop songs. I already knew this, but sometimes you forget just how great something is. Just recently, I saw an interview with Noel and he was going on about how he loves Johnny Marr and the Smiths. I can definately hear some of those influences on their first album. It must be a Manchester thing. (I am crazy about the music history of Manchester and the whole "madchester" sound)

Well, I think that is all. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. I'll make sure to post more often!

Take care,
Megan

ps- pray for me that my dogs don't try to eat my work. Tucker, my blood hound, has been known to try to eat my books! Hopefully, Rudy (aka Rude Dog), my golden retriver pup won't follow Tuck's behavior.

3 comments:

cbro said...

that is bloody great about your poem. You rock.

I like Bowie and the Purple One. One of those would get my vote.

I recently pulled out the Afghan Whigs 1965. I loved it when it came out and love maybe more now. Plus I saw them on during that tour and they were tight and loud and like Rock Gods. It was glorious.
Another current listen of an older cd is Lonelyland by Bob Schneider. Far and away his best disc front to back. He usually puts on a great show and the next time his is in town make sure to see him.

Good luck with the homework.

NEXT is on now and you should be listening people. Good show this week.

Anonymous said...

Faith No More - Angel Dust

Holds up remarkably well.

Megs said...

thanks for the luck with the homework. unfortunately, this week is nothing but homework I fear...

I think I'll be doing Prince. I'm seriously leaning towards it after realizing I could do an evaluation of chapell's skit on the almighty purple one.

also, thank you about the poem! I'm seriously excited about what sort of response I'll be getting.

note to self, check out faith no more's angel dust, and afghan whigs' 1965. (i have heard songs from that AW album, but it's been a long time since that happened.)

I'm glad you liked my show. You should call in sometime! I swear I wouldn't put you on the air. I once did that to my mom and she made me promise I wouldn't do that haha. I think for this week, because I am so busy, I'm going to follow a friend's advice and do "fongs to suck to." Last Fall semester, my friend Rohan did this amazing set entitled that and well, he wants me to play stuff that would go with it. but for now, it's all a little up in the air.