Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I Should Really Post More Often









An Interested Jeff Tweedy Listens Intently As I Heap Praise Upon His Band









What a concert weekend in Chicago.
You had Wilco, Wolfmother, Tenacious D, The Black Keys, Brazilian Girls and My Morning Jacket all in town within a couple of days.
I attended two of these shows myself.
Friday I was lucky enough to see My Morning Jacket rock the Riviera Theatre.
I have seen MMJ open twice for Pearl Jam and again at Lollapalooza, but as headliner is where they really shine.
On an encore, the band came out in tuxes accompanied by the Chicago Youth Symphony. The symphony really fleshed out some of the songs and added a nice touch to the slower numbers.
The band seamlessly blended genres in a sonic cacophony of audible bliss. If not a believer, see this band live.
It has been an amazing year of concerts for me this year, but I think this might have been the best show I have been to, and that is saying alot.


A clip from Friday's show (link might not work for long)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE0C433D7CBE45BF



Saturday I got to see Wilco at the Auditorium Theatre. I have been to almost every music venue in the city and I think this might be the best sounding room I have ever seen a show in.
It helped that Wilco was in rare form and delivered an inspired set that closed out thier tour here in the states.

After the show, I grabed a bite at a diner next door and saw some people milling about outside. It was then that I got to meet Jeff Tweedy. It was really cool to just say a quick hello and tell him how much I enjoyed his work. Nice guy.
Observe fuzzy, crappy cell phone pic.
Thanks Tina.


I might do a record review post soon, released or soon to be released records I am currently digesting:

Bloc Party - A Weekend In The City
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead - So Divided
Beck - The Information
My Morning Jacket - Okonokos
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
Mogwai - Zidane A 21st Century Portrait
Slowlands - Never Was There A Town
Tenacious D - The Pick Of Destiny
The Beatles - Love


On to some links....

All the pirates are going legit:
BitTorrent set to unveil deals with studios
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-torrent29nov29,1,7242371.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true



If only this work sexual harassment video was real:

http://www.fazed.net/video/?id=504




Alamost everything looks cool in slow motion
http://www.fazed.net/video/?id=515


More Later,
HelperMonkey

2 comments:

Megs said...

I just have to say that I'm seriously impressed about all those bands being in your town during the same weekend. Sometimes DC has those weeks where I have to debate over which show to go check out, but those are kinda rare.

I'd love to see wilco someday. Congrats on meeting Jeff Tweedy!

As for the albums you're reviewing.. I've heard jokes about the bloc party, so I look forward to hearing your opinion on it. The new trail of the dead album is doing really well here at WMUC. My friends just saw them a few weeks ago with the blood brothers and said it was an amazing show. I've heard that the new deftones is good.

Right now, I'm digesting the new Brand New album. I just saw them live right before the album came out and the new material live sounded brillant. I also just got the new Converge album from my school's radio station. so maybe, I too will make some posts.

take care,
Megan

HelperMonkey said...

Hey Megs,
I have seen you posts and enjoyed them. I have never been to DC, but hear its a cool town.

I like the new trail of the dead album (yes, I still call them albums) and if you ever get a chance to see Wilco, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I think you should review some albums too, we all should.
Talk to you soon.
HelperMonkey