Wednesday, September 10, 2008

music for 9-9

I might have gotten to this sooner but I had to watch Fringe and I torn through the Showtime show Californication. Duchovny plays a wonderful anti-hero. It is smart, witty, biting. There are a few storylines that aren't worth following but overall I am quite pleased with the product. During season 1 as much as you may dislike Duchovny's character you couldn't help but hope he figures it out. You reluctantly cheered him on. I say reluctantly because he is kinda like the un-king Midas. I have a feeling season two will just irk me. I can only picture Season 2 making me hate his character - which is sad.



I have said it before and will again I love watching shows on DVD but they are like crack. You don't care about the time you just want to watch just one more episode.



So how about the CDs...there is quite a bit to like maybe even love.

Micheal Franti and Spearhead - All Rebel Rockers

The world needs more Franti's. Cool and intelligent funky reggae with elements of rap/hip hop. I would vote for him in a heart beat. I say Franti/Bono.

Josh Rouse - The Best of the Rykodisc Years

Oh my god in heaven if you don't already own what this man has released count yourself lucky. Only because now you get a very good collection. If you are only going to buy one cd (actually this is 2) this week this is the one. Go...get...it...NOW.

Calexico - Carried to Dust
Subtle southwestern feel. The kinda of cd you will rediscover in 30 years and wonder "why didn't these guys make it bigger?"

Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
Welcome to the Rock and Roll circus of smart and brilliant indie pop. They are coming close to another Wilco type band.

The Ettes - Look at Life Again Soon
Garage Rock in it's finest and fiercest form. A trio of NYCers that are not in LA LA Land.

Mitch Hedberg - Do you Believe in Gosh?

This funny man left us way too early and so the "post life Tupac cds" are starting to flow. There are so many great moments in this cd. My favorite right now "Now is a hippopotamus a hippopotamus or a really cool opotamus?"

Emiliana Torrini - Me and Armini

Take a long walk on the beach with this cd and reflect and enjoy. Not her strongest but if you are new to her a great intro.

Others to check out and listen to
The Broken West took a bit of a step back on this cd but you will still find much to love on this Silver Star CD. If there aren't enough poop and fart "children" songs in your life please check out Kimya Dawson's latest. Kellarissa for some late night musings. The New Year for the slowly, softly, building kenetic mess. Trip hop genius Tricky is back too and don't forget that Eliminator by ZZ Top turns 25 and the deluxe double disc is worth checking out. The live tracks just remind you of how cool and slick this studio album was. You get the videos too. Relive MTV's glory years.

More later
Bro

No comments: