Friday, February 01, 2008

Black Crowes


This "lost treasure" cd came to me in a dream. No, actually it was thanks to a conversation I had a bit ago with Helper Monkey. So I guess this post is partly his too.

We were talking about music (shocking I know) and some how The Black Crowes came up. About how they are almost a "jam band" now or at least semi-carrying the Dead crown. Maybe. I don't remember the whole chit chat thing but I do remember us talking about why the Black Crowes don't get mentioned with some of the other biggies from the 90s.

It got me thinking about radio and the BC and how it is strange that looking over their catalog that really only 2 LPs get any love. "Shake" and "Southern Harmony". Now "Shake" is or was a wonderful intro to a band and still to this day is one of my favorite debut cds. "Southern Harmony" is just their best. Period. If you don't think so -- really go back and listen again. It's just...classic.

So I was looking over the rest of the cds on my shelf and I noticed that they have at least 3 "lost treasure" cds and that they themselves are a "lost treasure". Almost but not quite like The Replacements. At least the Black Crowes get some airplay. Any time you hear them on the radio it's from "Shake" with a "Thorn" or "Remedy" thrown in sometimes.

Now "Lions" has it's moments but really it isn't that strong but the other 3 are full of great rock and/or roll songs. I don't know which one would be more under-rated. "Amorica", "Three Snakes" or "By Your Side". I guess if I had to throw them in order let us just say "Three Snakes" gets a lot less love with "Amorica" very close. That would leave "By Your Side" as third.




Now I did kinda mention the live band thing and they do have two wonderful live cds. "Freak and Roll" is glorious and also look for a Japan Import called "Souled Out Live". And talk about a greatest hits package...this one truly is. It's not a One Hit Wonder and few others to fill out 80 minutes. If all you own is "Shake Your Moneymaker" please at least buy the Greatest Hits. Although "Southern Harmony" is also a must own.

More later
Bro

please send me your "lost treasure" there is no wrong answer just better ones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Amorica would be one hell of a lost treasure pick. In retrospect, it may be one of the top 50 releases of the decade.

cbro said...

I think, sadly, one of the reasons it failed was the cover. The pubes just didn't sit well. I haven't heard the new album but I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I agree. I believe the cover was a copy of an old Playboy cover.
Amorica is the Black Crowes "No Code". Criminally underappreciated.

cbro said...

ah Playboy...so good and sooo bad.