Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Replacements - All Shook Down


Another Lost Treasure...in fact some might argue a Lost Band.

Let’s start this thing off by saying if for some reason you don’t have all three of the holy trinity of ‘Mats CDs then you need to remedy that right now. It’s a perfect trifecta. “Let it Be”, “Tim”, and “Pleased to Meet Me” should be in each and every CD collection. Murmur by REM was released in ’83 and the ‘Mats perfection was recorded during that same time(’84 to ’87). Green came out in "88. How did REM get sooo huge while The Replacements watched the world pass them by? You might know the stories and if not search them out. There are some truly wonderful Rock N Roll stories. The Replacements really have no one but themselves to blame but that doesn’t change the fact that we have the chance to “do it right” now. If your favorite radio station plays more REM songs then Replacement songs something is terribly wrong. Call them. Email them and ask them why they don’t love music.

Ok enough of that little rant. So this is a lost Treasures CD review and obviously I can’t pick one of the big three so I picked “All Shook Down”. It is basically the first solo Paul Westerberg CD. The CD sounds like an almost defeated Paul. I think by this time he knows that The Replacements should have and/or could have but didn’t. This CD is not classic sounding Replacements it’s the perfect ending that knows that it is an ending. It is full of med tempo rockers and low key acoustic numbers. It’s a good CD to listen to when the party has ended but you are not ready to call it a day. You want to hang on to the buzz and kick back with one last beer -- or maybe two so that you can slowly pull on the beers and hear the entire CD. All I am saying is give Paul a chance.



More later

Bro

2 comments:

Megs said...

I love the replacements, but you already knew that! I definitely agree with your sentiments. I really agree with the argument about them being a lost band. They wrote some of the best pop songs in the 80s and yet never had a serious hit. They're like the best kept secret that makes all the music geeks' hearts gush.

While I do love REM, Paul Westerburg is still writes kick ass music. I'm not sure what the new REM album is going to be like. Hopefully, it will be not boring.

cbro said...

I've heard poor recordings of their practice run in Dublin before they went into the studio. They sound like Monster. I still want a bit of twang but as long as they leave the blips alone I'll be happy. This CD could be their "comeback". I hate to say it but if this Next REM CD doesn't get me excited I may punt on them in the future. I'm close to doing that anyway.

Check a few weeks ago I played a track on NEXT.