Friday, August 10, 2007

And so it goes...

Just when I thought losing John Peel was troubling and heartbreaking, yet another "hero" of mine has passed onto the great beyond.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6941105.stm

Though Tony Wilson was never a musician, the man had passion about music.Without him, we wouldn't have had Joy Division, the Happy Mondays or New Order. Not just that but we wouldn't have had Oasis, The Stone Roses, The Smiths and then countless bands who were influenced by these other bands. He made Manchester's music important. Not just that but he was definitely a pop cultural legend in England. After all, Steve Coogan based his awesome character Alan Patridge off of Mr. Wilson's persona.



I really have had a lot of respect for Tony over the years. He was a good journalist who was passionate about music and he knew that the bands he believed in were going to help people and change the world. I was actually hoping to meet him someday while in Manchester doing an internship. (Yes I've been considering doing an internship at the NME or the BBC) It really saddens me that I won't be able to meet him. I can only hope that he's up there with Martin Hannett, Rob Gretton and Ian Curtis having a damn good party and checking out bands. Perhaps heaven is the Hacienda!

As for now, I think I'll go watch 24 Hour Party People...

ps- to everyone on this blog, sorry I've been away. I went to day 2 of V-fest and will share stories very soon.

1 comment:

cbro said...

nice to have you back...you add great insight on this blog.