Monday, December 08, 2008

More Next Listener favorites

I just got this email from another NEXT listener. Brilliant list here brother man.

Hey Chris,

Well.....today was the day. I had no bills to pay, and no laundry to fold. The kids did not need to be transported to birthday parties, sporting events, or play dates. The groceries were set, my football team's game was blacked out in NY, and I had made my wife a nice dinner last night. It was time to play.

Using most of your rules (I counted both Vampire Weekend and Radiohead as 2007 releases......reluctantly) and trying to use songs previously played on Next (most of these have been on your show), I have decided upon my top 15. Its so hard when you get down to the last few choices........but here goes.

1) Head Rolls Off Frightened, Rabbit
Ahhh....the slow build. I regret that this song can't go on forever. My favorite new song from my favorite new band. Awesome video, too.

2) White Winter Hymnal, Fleet Foxes

This is such an interesting sound and such an interesting band......and they sound great. I think you played a different song on Next.......but they have to be in anybody's tops list for the year.

3) 5 Years Time, Noah and the Whale
We have a New Year's tradition........a year end slide show with our favorite songs from the year. And the songs are happy......sentimental......catchy. This song is such a natural to lead off the New Year's tradition.

4) Undertow, Stars

A late entry that is my latest obsession. I love almost everything recorded by the Stars the first time I hear it.

5) Strawberry Swing, Coldplay
On any given day, I would choose a different song from this same album. But this is the Next song. So I'm picking this one. I think.

6) Dead Sound, The Raveonettes
Nobody confuses the Raveonettes for any other band, and their sound is sooooo good.

7) I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance With You, Black Kids
My favorite energy song of the year. By a lot.

8) Cape Canaveral, Conor Oberst
Nothing clever here.....just a good song.

9) Touch Me I'm Going to Scream, Pt. 2, My Morning Jacket
I love all 8:12 seconds of this song. Admittedly, this song will present challenges in burning any "Best of 2008" cd's.

10) Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?, She & Him
OK.....so Zooey sounds a lot like Helen Reddy. Well, I loved Pete's Dragon. Sue me. (And, she looks nothing like Helen Reddy)

11) Summer Grof, The Spinto Band
They tour with Frightened Rabbit. And I'm not going to pretend to be objective.

12) Modern Mystery, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
Small band with a big name......and the result is a great little long.

13) Head Honcho, DeVotchKa
Its not as epic as "How It Ends" but this band remains unique in their approach to Indie Pop

14) Waiting for a War, The Morning Benders

They were on Next twice this year. They have to be good. Right?

15) Crying, TV On the Radio
This band just has to be on the list........and they bumped The Killers, Oasis, and R.E.M......so kudos.

OK.....thats it for today. Tomorrow......I may send a few edits.

Damn this is hard.

-Mike

No comments: