Thursday, October 02, 2008

9.30 gold

Hello Boys and Girls

Jesus and Mary Chain - The Power of Negative Thought
82 songs of feedback bliss. A wonderful pot of gold at the end of the boxset rainbow. One listen to this box and I'm transported directly to a glorious decade called the Mid 80s to the mid 90s. The foundation of my musical education. PJ, REM, The Replacements, JAMC, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Van Halen, Def Leppard, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Smashing Pumpkins, NIN. I need to go spike my Jolt cola with some "borrowed" rum from Papa and plug in my walkman.


Roy Obison - the Soul of Rock and Roll
My boxset joy.

Ben Folds - Way to Normal
That man is funny and ironic and serious. The Piano kills as do the lyrics. This is the closest to "Five" as he has sounded since that trio broke up. Maybe it's because they played that one off show. Inspired? Who knows. Just enjoy this version of normal.

Joseph Arthur - Temporary People
A nice return to form and closer to basic rock. Still space but not just to show off rather on this one it fits within the song.

Ani DiFranco - Red Letter Year
A shock to the ear on first listen. Beautiful music? Lovely music? Not Ani (don't call me Annie). Surely not the "in your face/maverick" singer and song writer. I'll call this cd serene. First cd since becoming a mom.

Also check
Mercury Rev, MMW, Bella Fleck (for a Christmas LP), The Iguanas, Taj Mahal, and Tom Morello the Nightwatchmen.

More later
Bro


----------------
Now playing: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cheated Hearts
via FoxyTunes

No comments: