Sunday, June 01, 2008

25 years ago today


An amazing thing happened exactly 25 years ago. Well, maybe not amazing, but it certainly made an impression on me....and a few others. On June 1, 1983, the Police released their last studio album, Synchronicity. The album, which ultimately sold over 8 million copies in the U.S. alone, was suddenly everywhere. And the band that had succeeded with tracks such as “Roxanne” and “Don’t Stand So Close To Me” was about to chart 4 singles from this one album.

The timing for me was critical, as this record appeared when I was in junior high school. My musical tastes were becoming my own. I was no longer sitting in the back seat of the car as mom tuned into Tony Orlando’s latest hit. In the process of trying to figure out which album would look most impressive when I put it on the record player for my friends, I was also discovering which music I most appreciated. As I reflect, it is so hard to believe this was happening a quarter of a century ago.

The album begins with the track that remains my favorite, “Syncronicty I.” Looking back, it feels like the one track that the band still played together, avoiding the obvious strains that were breaking up the band. This album was famously recorded using separate tracks, with band members often refusing to work together in the studio. You can hear the divergent styles of the band members. In fact, its hard to believe Andy Summers’ “Mother,” Stewart Copland’s “Miss Gradenko,” and Sting’s “Walking in Your Footsteps” all appeared on one record. The styles were divergent, and this group was about to diverge. But for one track, at least, they were a world class rock band.

Sting dominates the album, writing each of the major hits. His voice, which remains one of the great male voices in rock, was featured generously. Everybody remembers “Every Breath You Take,” King of Pain,” “Wrapped Around Your Finger,” and “Syncronicity II.” In fact, this is one of the first albums I grew to love that utilized music videos to promote each of the songs. MTV and The Police were working together to make sure these great songs were planted in the minds of receptive adolescents throughout the country. Now, 25 years later, I could sing them all, word for word. Not well, but you get the point.

Looking back, this album could be used to support the argument that harmony is overrated in rock bands. John and Paul recorded “Let It Be” before parting ways, and I’m happy Dave and Ray didn’t kill each other before recording “Word of Mouth.” I guess, given the current tour, The Police have found a way to get along these days. But I remember a time when this band, about to break at the seams, released an album that continues to be relevant all these years later. And lets face it......you can’t say that about every artist. Especially Tony Orlando.

1 comment:

cbro said...

I feel old. Brilliant and well done and thanks for the memories.