Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pink Floyd - Meddle


So the latest from Spoon gives you 12 tunes that expires in at just over 37 minutes. I love the cd but sometimes I like to stretch out. Explore the space between the notes. That brings me to of course Pink Floyd. When I say Floyd most people react with a thought toward “Dark Side of the Moon” or “The Wall” or if they think they may sneak one past me they will say “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn” - which I might add is getting the royal treatment in a 3 CD boxset in August and if you don’t own it yet count yourself lucky and just wait for the boxset. Anyway you aren’t wrong by thinking about any of those but I would like to throw a monkey in the Floyd mix. “Meddle”. I really think you should go back and give this one a listen.

It begins with one of the best openings of a Pink Floyd CD “One of These Days”. It’s quiet. The wind blows. Throw on the headphones ladies and gentlemen. Enter the echo and bass. There is only one line of lyric “one of these days I’m going to cut you into little pieces”. It is the band’s basic feeling about music critics. Classic. Bite that hand that feeds you. Yet one more reason I love Floyd.

"A Pillow of Winds" follows and it’s one of the few quiet, acoustic songs in the Pink Floyd catalogue

"Fearless" ends with field recordings of the Liverpool F.C. fans singing "You'll Never Walk Alone", their anthem. Now I am an Arsenal fan and this track almost makes me want to change teams. Plus the fact that Henry and now my favorite Swede are leaving the team but I still wear the Gunnar Gold with pride.

"San Tropez" is a jazz-inflected pop song.

“Echoes” is a triumph. An epic tune that is almost as long as some albums these days. “Echoes” clocks in at almost 27.5 minutes. It is a glorious way to end a Pink Floyd album.

Now My all time favorite PF is “Wish You Were Here” but “Meddle” is a very close second and deserves another listen or maybe even your first listen. You can thank me later while your enjoying the stretching out of the music.

For more fun and adventure check out Next Music Online.
More later
Bro

No comments: