Monday, July 16, 2007

Pearl Jam Binaural


OK let's get this out of the way. I love PJ.

There is an album that for some reason people have over looked. Why? I have no idea. In 2000 for some reason everyone that loved rock was focused on U2 with their release "All that you can't leave behind" but they missed it. I guess they were still gorging on Boy Bands and were on a sugary high.

Binaural starts off perfectly with A CRASH of sound -- then the wonderful line "There's a girl on a ledge she got nowhere to turn- cause all the love that she had was just wood that she burned". The song explodes. If you love rock music then you are head over heals. In fact, the first three tunes are a heavy trifecta.


It isn't until "Light Years" that the band slows down a bit. A slight, dirty groove of a tune.


Then a lonely, pensive guitar comes through the speakers. Eddie and an acoustic guitar and then the wailing guitar again. Welcome to "Nothing as it Seems". This is PJ all growz up.


They grow up even more with "Thin Air".

Three fast. Three mellow. Back to the Rock with big bouncy drums. You would think time to kick it up a notch but instead the slow, meticulous jam of "of a girl".


Now two songs just made for driving. Driving fast.


Then "Slight of Hand" is a great slow build.

How does one end a Lost Treasure CD? Eddie on a uke. Perfect but that is not the end. One last tune. It's not the 7 minute jam you thing you're getting. You don't worry because you know that when they play this one live they are going to stretch "Parting Ways" out. The song is only 3:37 then about 3 more minutes of silence then a Hidden Track. I'd forgotten about those. Anyway it's just someone banging on a typewriter. I would have given my left nut to have been the one that typed on a typewriter on a PJ Hidden Track but sadly I can't claim that.

I know that it will be tough to ever top Ten but that is because that was a perfect storm. Ten will always have a special place in my heart but really you need to give Binaural one more listen. Plus the booklet in the cd is quite sweet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Binaural ranks along No Code as the deepest PJ albums for me. It was the last great studio album they have made so far.
Also, the Binaural recording technique they used really can only be appreciated with headphones on. Try listening to this album that way and you will find things you never heard before.

cbro said...

Damn I haven't tried that. I will do that soon. This headphone thing may push it even further up my list.

Thanks HM.