Sunday, October 01, 2006

Things like this aren't suppose to happen


I would have posted this earlier, but I had to go out of town Friday and well, this happened Thursday Night. It makes sense to why it hasn't been posted...

I first discovered Massive Attack while listening to WFWM (local college radio station that i'd listen to religiously as a kid). It was late spring/early summer of 1998, when I first got my taste of this unique band. By fall of 1998, I was rather obsessed about their music. I remember seeing that they were playing the 930 club in October of that year. Unfortunately, tickets were already gone and little did I know, it would take them eight years to come back! I remember listening to them in high school (Chris informed me about Blue Lines back in 2000), thinking about what it would be like to see them live if they ever did tour.

This past summer, it was announced that they were coming to the 9:30 Club once again! This time around, they were doing 2 nights. Supposedly a DVD would be recorded at the shows. I saw the ticket price and it made me slightly queezy (40 bucks), but I soon realized just only a few weeks ago, it was a now or never type deal. I'm thankful I got my ticket, seriously.

This past Thursday night, I saw Massive Attack at the 9:30 Club. It was an incredible show. The setlist was satisfying. Not to mention, Liz Fraiser from Cocteau Twins was actually there as a guest vocalist. Also, Horace Andy did some terrific songs. I wasn't expecting either of them to be at the concert. (I also wasn't expecting to see 3D being so energetic on stage. For a white guy, he can dance) To say the least, I was in for a real treat. I have to laugh about the first time Liz came out on stage. I was all the way up front, right near the barcades. When she was introduced, I could hear atleast 30 people say "holy shit!" Everyone was surprised to see her on stage! I was surprised, too. I was expecting their usual fillin (Dot Allison).

Here is the setlist: (they played for a solid 90 minutes)

*False Flags
*Risingson
*Black Milk
*Man Next Door
*Butterfly Caught
*Hymn of the Big Wheel
*Mezzanine
*Teardrop
*Angel
*Future Proof
*Safe From Harm
(encore)
*Inertia Creeps
*Unfinished Sympathy
*Group Four

The lighting in the show was intense and very beautiful. They had this cool set which featured a markee displaying all these weird facts about DC and the Iraq war. Deborah Miller is the soul singer they have on tour with them. She was amazing. She belted it out like nobody else. I'll put it this way, her voice gave me chills during "Unfinished Sympathy." Most rocking moment of the concert was "Angel." The guitars were fierce, the song still had that eerie atmosphere live. Mr. Andy sang the song with much energy and passion. I have to laugh when he left the stage, he gave the crowd two thumbs up, because everyone went nuts over how awesome the song was live. The coolest moment of the show was during "Safe from Harm" which by the way is my favorite song by them. I totally just let go of myself during the song. I danced, I sang and I even rapped along. I had my arms in the air. During the part where 3D raps "I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me to see me looking back at you," I was reciting along with him. He must have heard me or something, but we made eye contact. (little back ground info, when I was 13 years old, I had this pretty bad crush on the guy haha) I felt like I could have just melted in a puddle right then and there. Perhaps, I did. It was almost like he was giving me props. That moment right there, totally made my night. The two cool kids I met before the show started were like "did you see that! he looked at you!"

As some may know, I am rather used to going to concerts and doing some amount of work. This time around, I was going on my own interests and on my own money. To say the very least the 40 bucks for my ticket was well worth it! I didn't have any special connections that night. I was just happy to be there. Meeting them wasn't on the agenda to say the least. In fact, I thought I would have a popsicle's chance in hell of meeting Robert Del Naja (aka 3D). As you can tell from the picture in this entry, my mind set was very far from the truth.

During the show, I noticed this black dude up front and center. He was rapping and singing along as well. I had already had plans to atleast talk to him after the show was over, because I love meeting enthusiastic fans. I had the impression that aside from the two kids I was standing with, I was one of the youngest at the show. At the end of the show, I saw Robert give the guy these hand signals that I interpreted as "drinks after the show." As soon as the show was over, I walked over and started talking to the guy. Well turns out, I was older than this person. He was like only 18. I was impressed for being such a new fan that he knew all the songs. I also realized he was a bit of a flake. (here comes the jealous fan girl bit) this kid started saying "I bet I'm going to his hotel room tonight" (yeah he was a queen to say the least. my gay friends would agree on that too) I started chatting about other stuff and he was like "you're cool. you'll have to come along with us to meet the band" BINGO!

We headed up to the left side of the balcony. At the end of the Balcony is this hospitality room that the headlining band usually hangs out in. Massive Attack were making their way in I guess. We were waiting for a bit, then I realized "shit I want a tshirt" so I asked the kids to wait for me and I ran downstairs. I was gone for only 4 minutes. Stupid merch booth was closed, so I ran back upstairs. The two kids had already gone in. I thought "Shit! how am I going to get in?" About 30 seconds after this thought, this security guy said "you can come on in." I proceeded to walk into the room. I talked to the keyboardist as I slowly made my way into the party. I told him about my crush on 3D (aka Robert Del Naja) and he said "Don't be afraid to admit it" which was kinda comforting. I wasn't intending on staying long since I was suppose to take the Metro back to school.

Robert was standing in this small hallway greeting everyone coming in. I was the last person in and we ended up talking a lot the rest of the night. We first chatted about politics and music. Since I didn't have a camera with me, I had him sign my ticket stub. I needed some sort of proof! (at the moment, I thought I was only going to stick around for like 10 minutes, because of needing to get back on the metro. So my plan was to say a few things and get an autograph) I told him how I discovered Massive Attack and what I thought of the show. He invited me to stick around longer and had me follow him over to the bar, because he was getting something to drink. He offered me champaign. I'm not much for drinking, but I couldn't let this pass. So of course, I grabbed a wine glass and had him pour me some. As he was pouring the champaign I looked around and noticed that there were about 20 people at the party and then I thought "fuck going home."

As I was sipping my champaign, the flakey boy and his friend (who is a girl) walked past me and were like "isn't this the coolest!?" they're underage and drinking. I thought "lame!" This is like 10 minutes into the party, the kid walks up to me and says that him and his friend have to leave and they told Robert that they'd be back tomorrow night for the other show. well the stupid kid came back and said to me he forgot the show was sold out and couldn't get a ticket, so I guess he tried getting on the guest list. (on his way out, he told me not to try to get on the guest list!) A part of me wonders if he did or didn't. I guess I'm a little weird, because I left the club when the band left. I stuck around for as long as possible. My feeling is that if you're such a hardcore fan, then stick around! (not to mention I got lucky and found these two very cool people who were willing to give me a ride home. they were like "it's not like every day you get to hang out with one of your favorite bands." after finding them, I decided to stick around for a bit longer)

The backstage party went on for about 90 minutes. I think I talked to Robert for about 50 of those minutes or something. granted this was in chunks.

While at the party, I did meet Horace Andy and Liz Fraiser. Horace seemed rather out there. Either he was tired, drunk, stoned, I couldn't tell. Nice guy though. As for Liz, she was really cool. I told her about how I loved her voice and her work in Cocteau Twins. She told me that she hasn't listened to any twins stuff since the mid 90s, but was rather appreciative to find out that kids my age were digging the music.

As I was getting a soda, Robert was getting chocolate and he offered me some. Nice british guy if you ask me! I didn't see him offer any of the other girls there stuff like that. While munching on chocolate, we discussed art and how awesome milk chocolate is. I asked him about his paintings. He told me that he hasn't had much time to do any painting.

A little later, I met Deborah Miller (the soul singer). She was very awesome. I told her that she brought the house down during "Unfinished Sympathy". We chatted a little. I asked her if Robert has a girlfriend and she said "I don't think he does. You'll have to ask him." and Then I carefully explained why I was curious to know. She told me to go ahead and tell him about my school girl crush. She was like "you'll make his night" haha. I figured why the hell not, it's not like i'm on assignment or something.

I got the courage and walked over to where he was talking to some people. I waited until the people left and I said to him, "I have to tell you. When I was 13, I had a pretty huge crush on you." and He put his arm around my sholder and said "oh really? do you still have an inkling of it?" I laughed (keep in mind this whole moment is comedic for me) and said "I'm not sure whether to say yes or no to the question." He then implied that he's single. It was quite the moment. I then talked to him about poetry. "Teardrops" inspired a few poems I wrote in high school that were published in my school's lit magazine or newspaper. He was rather impressed that I do poetry and journalism. I ended up giving him my cell number and email address. He said that he'd love to read some of my work.

As the party was winding down, Robert asked me If i was going to be at the show on Friday night. I told him it was sold out and he was like "that wasn't an issue." I then told him about my trip on Friday to Ocean City that was for an organization I'm vice president for at school. He was totally cool about it. He said that if it weren't for doing a concert, he too would go to the beach.

I left the club with Edrisse and Julia (the two cool kids who gave me a ride home and took the picture of me with Robert) around 1 am. The last thing I said to Robert as we all were leaving the club was "taste the rest" (a line out of karmacoma) and he said "Cheers, Babe. Good Night"

Like the title says things like this aren't suppose to happen. Right now, it does look like I live a rock and roll lifestyle. I'm thinking maybe it was just sheer luck. Either way, I'm still quite surprised.

ps- I think this post is going to make a lot of people "jealous" haha.



7 comments:

cbro said...

Holy Balls thats awesome...count me as one of the jealous ones. I love stories like that.

well done

Megs said...

i'm glad you liked the story. Since i went by myself to the show, i'm quite thankful i have friends who i can atleast share the story with. It's not like i'm bragging honestly. I'd give anything to have people with me when this stuff happens.

It's kinda funny but when i was watching and enjoying the concert, i kept thinking how much you would have liked it. i know that you and your wife would have probably gone if you guys still lived down this way. (btw, i didn't mention it in my story but 3D invited me to hang out at their hotel. he told me that they were staying at this place where massachusettes ave, new hampshire and connicut kinda meet. it's quite crazy to realize that they stay at the same hotel depeche mode stays at in dupont circle. i'm now kicking myself for not going haha)

That show was one of the very first shows i've gone to in a long time without any special stuff (ie- passes, free tickets, ect) and somehow i still end up with the craziest of stories.

you would have loved the show. i know that massive attack are in nyc this week. the nice thing is that 3D told me that they should have a new album out this winter or spring and then be back out on tour.

ps- have you heard the twilight singers' cover of massive attack's "live with me"??? It's so good. I found it on the twilight singers' myspace page last week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

Thanks for visiting my blog! You are so lucky to ge to meet D and all those guys. I have serious respect and admiration for this band/collective/group--whatever you want to call them. BTW, I did hear Mr. Del Naja make a comment about his "homicidal ex-girlfriend" in between songs last Tuesday night, so there's that riddle solved for ya: he's single now!

Take care,

G.

Anonymous said...

i just read the entire post. wow. thanks for sharing. you seem like a really cool person to have had such an amazing time w/ mr. del naja. i can only see myself being awestruck and going mute were i in your situation. he seems really nice from your entry. i'm so jealous of the photo -you guys look great =)
you mentioned you talked a bit of politics with him. im curious what exactly you all talked about...
(i'll check back in the comments if you feel like elaborating =]

precious said...

i am so curious, did he ever get back at you on your cell or email for those poetry?

Anonymous said...

wow...
yeah, this story really makes me jealous :) I found it by chance while searching for something about 3D.. :)
I was wondering if he is single too..
I think I'm obssessed with MA and I have a crush.. just like you did :)
lol
And I really wish I could meet him... I hope someday maybe :)

I'm curious too, did he contact you after that?

home for sale costa rica said...

hello guys, I like your blog is very interesting your subject .... I would like to receive information about this!